Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Obama Backpedals, 20 Years Too Late


March 18, 2008 - Philadelphia speech to try to put the fire out:

..."I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes...

"... I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

April 29, 2008
"The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago... "His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church."

The problem is, Obama, that he didn't say anything yesterday he hadn't been saying for the past 20 years. In March you couldn't bring yourself to cut him loose. Now you are tossing him under the bus with Grandma in a blatant attempt to save your failing run for the presidency.

Is there nothing you won't say? No high horse you won't try to mount? Do you think us so bitter, and stupid perhaps, that we won't be able to tell backpedaling to save your ass from sincere outrage?

This is the judgement problem. You sat there for 20 years. You knew he blamed AIDS on the government you seek to run. You knew what he said about America's chickens after 9/11. And by your continued presence, you indicate that it was okay with you.

Only today, when he is really damaging your campaign, are you in damage control overdrive. But there is no credibility for you when it comes to Wright.

In March, you tried to have it both ways - distance yourself from the words but hold onto the man - and blame racist America for creating both of you.

Today you are blaming him, like this is all news to you, and huff huff huff what a horrible scene, yada yada terrible terrible. Puulleeezzee.

I didn't believe you in March and I don't believe you know.

No comments: