Thursday, May 15, 2008

Misogny in a Landslide

Marie Cocco of the "Washington Post" wrote an editorial that says it all when it comes to the disgraceful way Hilary Clinton has been treated, and how the complicity and silence surrounding it show that woman-hating is not only alive and well, but accepted and virtually unopposed. The whole article is worth a read and some serious thought.

I quote one of her most salient points:

"I will not miss the deafening, depressing silence of Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean or other leading Democrats, who to my knowledge (with the exception of Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland) haven't publicly uttered a word of outrage at the unrelenting, sex-based hate that has been hurled at a former first lady and two-term senator from New York."

She sums up with this statement of stark truth:

"There are many reasons Clinton is losing the nomination contest, some having to do with her strategic mistakes, others with the groundswell for "change." But for all Clinton's political blemishes, the darker stain that has been exposed is the hatred of women that is accepted as a part of our culture."

Thank you, Marie, for having the courage to speak about the misogyny that has been rampant in this campaign. I imagine you will get royally skewered for doing so, but then, that's to be expected in a culture where it is okay to villify women for being women.

2 comments:

Taexalia said...

...or call a woman "sweetie"...

Willow said...

Yes indeed... And Obama's excluse for that blatant paternalism:

"That's a bad habit of mine. I do it sometimes with all kinds of people. I mean no disrespect, and so I am duly chastened on that front."

I find it troubling that he admits to referring to many people as sweetie. Frankly, I don't buy it. I don't think I've ever seen a report that he called Wolf Blitzer sweetie, or any other male reporter!