Monday, July 21, 2008

Wrist Slapping by the DNC

If we won't drink the kool-aid voluntarily, two DNC bigwigs tried to "shame us into it" with the following letter. Unfortunately for them , their premise as to why Democratic voters like me won't vote for Obama, is flawed. My reluctance has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton and everything to do with the credentials of the presumptive candidate and the corruption within the DNC itself. But I guess they can't start from that premise, can they?

My response to them is below their letter:

Dear Democratic Friends:

2008 is a Democratic year-at all levels in all the states. The opportunity is ours. We just have to seize it.

We experienced an exciting, intense, sometimes difficult, campaign to nominate our presidential candidate. Now it’s over. Barack Obama won.

I supported Hillary Clinton and am proud and pleased that I did. But she lost. Barack Obama won. It’s over.

It is time for all Democrats, supporters of Senator Clinton and all other contenders for the nomination, to stand with him to secure his election and the election of Democrats at all levels of competition.

I must confess a bit of fatigue and irritation with people who continue to carp, complain, and criticize the results of the primary and lay down conditions for their support. The Los Angeles Lakers didn’t establish conditions to recognize the Boston Celtics as NBA Champions; Roger Federer did not demand concessions before recognizing that Rafael Nadal defeated him at Wimbledon.

It is time to act in a mature and resourceful fashion. It’s time to put the primaries behind us. It’s time to support Barack Obama without conditions or demands.

It’s time to WIN for Barack Obama, the Democratic Party, America, and our future. We have an unparalleled opportunity. I hope we will all do everything we can to seize the moment.

See you at the Inauguration.

Sincerely,

Don Fowler
DNC Member At-Large, South Carolina
Former Chair of the Democratic National Committee

Alice Germond
Secretary, Democratic National Committee

My response

Dear Mr. Fowler and Ms. Germond,

While I appreciate the dilemma the DNC finds itself in, with a substantial portion of the party unwilling to support Barak Obama, please don't make it my problem or the problem of other Democratic-Party-registered voters.

This is the United States of America, and we are free to cast a vote for whoever we wish, regardless of party registration. These attempts at coercion are doomed to failure, because it is precisely this belittling tone that has been coming from the Obama camp, and the DNC leadership, for 18+ months, that has turned so many of us off.

You are putting forward a weak and flawed candidate, whose own lack of experience, poor judgement, flip flops, and track record of political dirty-dealing is liable to be what sinks him. Don't try to hang that around my neck!

Personally, I didn't like him from the first time I heard him speak, back at the last convention. He seemed like a phony to me then and I've seen and heard nothing to cause me to change my mind.

I am not a young and immature person, who is swayed by big speeches on hope and change. I've lived through the 60s, hard times, recessions, gas rationing in the 70s, multiple wars, the Reagan presidency (eight of the scariest saber-rattling years of my life), and 8 years of George Bush. I want real leadership with real answers.

Your candidate doesn't offer that and you need to wake up and smell the electoral coffee.

I voted for Al Gore and John Kerry. I voted for Bill Clinton. I've voted Democratic Party all my life.

But not this year.

I will not hold my nose and vote for a candidate who is so ill-prepared for the job.

But I will support ALL down-line Democrats.

The DNC's archaic rules, and our broken primary/caucus system, brought us to this place. Not Hillary Clinton. Not those who don't want to vote for Obama. Fix what is broken and quit blaming voters for exercising our Constitutional rights.

Sincerely,

No comments: