Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Is it Halloween?

Today I got an email from a friend I hadn't heard from in a decade. Did she write to ask how I was or share about her life? No.

She included me in a mass-mailing of yet another hand-wringing "Sarah Palin scares me" email. Obama supporters are so terrorized by Obama campaign spin that they are forwarding this trash to everyone they have ever known!

This is my response to her:

Hope you are well.

It's a difficult election season, with lots of references to why people are scared of one candidate or another. For me, I am most scared of what the Democractic party has become. When the most qualified candidate with the best chance of winning is passed over, usurping the democratic process and strong-arming state delegates into changing the votes they are, by law, mandated to cast, it concerns me. When so-called superdelegates, who are basically a few hundred Americans who get TWO votes determine the outcome of our party's primary, foisting an unqualified candidate upon us, whose demonstrated for decades a pattern of bad decisions, non-decisions, brutal ambition, and taking credit for the accomplishments of others because his own resume is so pathetically thin, I can't help but wonder what happened to the party I have supported all of my life. I wasn't even a Clinton supporter until the rampant sexism and misogyny of the primary season was allowed and in fact encouraged within the party against one of its own. As a woman and a feminist, it made me sick and woke me up to the internal coup that has high-jacked the Party and set in on a course that is so far from Democratic ideals as to be unrecognizable. While it may win this particular election, the Democratic party has lost its way.

Now Sarah Palin is suffering the same kinds of horrific attacks. Is she as qualified as Biden? No. Is she as qualified as Obama. Damn near...

I'm more concerned with Obama as a president than Palin as a powerless VP. I believe he will do irreparable harm to the country, just as he has to the party. He couldn't even unite his own Party in Denver. How can he possibly unite a country in January?

Best wishes,
Janis

Over the weekend, I got the same kind of "ooohhhh Sarah Palin is SO scary" email from another "friend", and again, it was sent to everyone in her address book.

He is indeed change we can believe in. He has changed normally reasonable people into frightened, and increasingly obnoxious, lie-spreaders.

No comments: