Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Palin on Equal Rights for Same Sex Couples

Palin said this weekend in an interview with David Brody from the Christian Broadcasting Network:

“I am, in my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that’s where we would go because I don’t support gay marriage.”

That is her opinion and she is entitled to it. But it does not change my decision to vote for her. Why? Because none of the candidates support equal civil rights for same sex couples. None of them. Some say they are less bigoted than others. They support civil unions but not the legal contract known as marriage. How "separate but equal of them".

And I don't support "gay marriage" either because I don't know what the hell that is! I support equal legal rights for all Americans. If an institution, like marriage, confers special rights to some Americans that are denied to others, it is unconstitutional. Governor Palin is wrong in her desire to deny Americans, even Alaskan Americans, equal rights for all.

But this is not a deal-breaker for me. People who are homosexual, or in same sex relationships, have no choice, other than not to participate in the election process. That's just the ugly truth of it.

My vote always has to be based on something else, because in this country, equal civil rights is not popular and no politician takes any serious political consequences for trashing it. I am not going to over-react to another politican taking her shot at a minority that has been an easy target forever. They all do it. Polls tell them it's okay to be a bigot. If there was a sudden shift and polls said the vast majority of people supported equal civil rights for all, they'd be on the bandwagon and doing photo-ops at Bob's and Fred's wedding.

So as much as I think Palin is a bigot, she gets my vote because she is a woman, which means, I guess, that I am voting for McCain as well. I find him to be an honorable man, and I believe he will do his best for the country.

When the day comes where we've had numerous women vice-presidents and presidents, maybe then I'll get picky about their personal opinions.

But we are SO FAR from those days. Right now we are still trying to get ONE WOMAN through the pipeline. And only two have been serious candidates to break through, Ferraro and Palin.

Go Sarah go!

No comments: