Thursday, November 6, 2008

Open Letter to Governor Palin

Dear Governor Palin,

I write to thank you for your willingness to serve out country by answering the call to service with a “yes” when John McCain asked you to be his running mate. I also want to thank you for being such a powerful role model for women. You conducted yourself with class and strength throughout the campaign. Even under terrible criticism and ugly and unfair slanders, you never faltered. You showed young girls in America that women can stand on the biggest stages, with their heads held high, and pursue the American Dream.

I was a Hillary supporter, and am a registered Democrat. This was the first time in my life that I voted for a Republican ticket – yours and John McCain’s. Your candidacy inspired me to step out of the Party box and embrace a vision of voting my conscience, rather than my Party.

Only twice in our history – and both in my lifetime, - has there been a woman on a major party ticket in the General Election. That fact breaks my heart. We women settle for so little and I want so much more for women in this country. We are underrepresented everywhere, and unable or unwilling, to band together and rise above Party and class, to break barriers and create opportunities for the young women watching and waiting…

Governor, I hope we have not seen the last of you on the national stage. Perhaps this is an opportunity for the Republican Party to renew its own vision and remain the practical alternative to those who will be disillusioned with the higher taxes and broken promises to come.

Again, Governor Palin, congratulations on running a first rate campaign, for fulfilling the role of running mate so admirably, and for all you do in service to our Country.

No comments: