Monday, December 15, 2008

Caroline Interested, Backlash Started

The New York Times broke the story that Caroline Kennedy will tell Governor Paterson that she'd like to be considered for the Senate seat to be vacated by Hillary Clinton after the New Year.

Unlike many in the PUMA movement, I don't see this as a sign of the apocalypse. And as a New Yorker, Paterson's choice affects me.

I've already written about why I am okay with her. In fact, I cross-posted that to another blog where I write and oh my, did that cause a storm of protest. You'd think I'd advocating drowning a litter of puppies! That hate poured out against her was quite ugly, rooted more in her friendship with Obama than in her experience, or lack thereof.

I don't like or trust him still, but I don't hold that against her. Let me be clear that I don't endorse just her. She isn't my chosen successor. I'd also be fine with Carolyn Maloney or Kirsten Gillibrand. Any woman will do.

Women only gained 1 percentage point in representation after the recent election, up from 16 to 17%. Not exactly cause for celebration. We cannot afford to give up ONE SEAT to a man. As the late Bella Abzug said, she was working for the day when "a mediocre woman could get as far as a mediocre man".

So am I. I'd rather have a mediocre Caroline Kennedy than any man.

3 comments:

1950 Democrat said...

But CK preferred a mediocre Obama to an excellent Hillary.

I don't think CK deserves any 'because she's a woman' points, when she did not give those points to Hillary!

"There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women" - Madeline Albright -- and CK did NOT help Hillary.

makana44 said...

I would prefer an exceptional man to a mediocre woman. And yes, an exceptional woman to an exceptional man. How about settling for qualified, even? But we don't need mediocrity, regardless of gender. This is the U.S. Senate we're talking about, not the girl scouts or boy scouts. Anyone appointed who does not merit the position and who would in be way over their head, would weaken New York State's standing in Congress in ways that could have serious implications for millions of citizens. I've heard talk that they're trying to position Kennedy for a presidential run in 2012. Obama redux, in an empty dress. The woman has never even held a full time job. No thanks. This is just kool aid of another flavor. It's genderism not feminism, akin to racism. Hang those men from the highest tree, right? IMHO, your values are skewed here. Support a woman, or women, who would make you proud and work diligently and expertly on all our behalf, not a person just because she's penisless. And yes, she betrayed the cause when she had a chance. She's not even on your team. A wise woman would oppose this unqualified and undeserving woman's bid for the N.Y. Senate seat.

Willow said...

I don't recall seeing similar outrage when family members, like Sonny Bono's wife, were appointed to fill a term that came open under extraordinary circumstances.

As a proud PUMA member, who owns her vote and defended my right to cast it for someone other than Obama, I will not chastise Caroline for supporting Obama. He was her choice. And he became Hillary Clinton's choice, when she backed him wholeheartedly and campaigned for him until she was hoarse.

Caroline isn't the best choice but she isn't the worst. Lack of experience didn't deter the majority of Americans from voting for Obama to be president, and not of the Boy Scouts.

Thanks for commenting!