Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WTF North Dakota

In subservience to Christian religious beliefs, to further Right Wing Republican attacks against women's reproductive rights, and to show how power corrupts politicians into thinking they have a right to moralize, lawmakers in North Dakota have voted to inflict Christian beliefs upon every person in their state:

A measure approved by the North Dakota House gives a fertilized human egg the legal rights of a human being, a step that would essentially ban abortion in the state. The bill is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that extended abortion rights nationwide, supporters of the legislation said. (emphasis added)
...
The bill declares that "any organism with the genome of homo sapiens" is a person protected by rights granted by the North Dakota Constitution and state laws

So using North Dakota logic, is a fertilized chicken egg an actual chicken?

4 comments:

In Mary's Image said...

Hi Willow, I really enjoy coming to your blog and reading your articles. Nice job!
On this entry, I have a few thoughts. First,anti abortion isn't just a "Christian" belief. There are many cultures and religions who shun abortions. Second, a chicken while a life, does not have the same value as a human...so I'm not sure what your point is in using that analogy(if I missed you point, I'm sorry) To me, the bill is trying to protect life in all stages, from the moment of conception. For many of us anti-abortion people,life begins in that moment...when a new being is created.
Peace

Willow said...

Thanks for commenting. I do not agree with you that any living being has more value than other. That is a narrow belief of Christianity that, not something commonly held by the rest of the world. Law-makers have no business poking their noses into medicine or science, and no business legislating their religious beliefs into laws that affect all people in their state, not just the Christians who agree with them. Given the bigotry of the Christian church when it comes to civil and human rights for homosexual Americans, and women, this obsession with embyros and abortion is ludicrous. Frankly, I am sick of people who follow a faith I don't trying to codify it into laws I have to live by. If you oppose abortion, don't have one. Leave the rest of us alone.

In Mary's Image said...

Hmmm...I disagree with you that lawmakers have no business poking their noses into medicine or science. What would happen if there was no regulation on drugs or licensing boards for medical professionals. What would happen if there were no laws limiting the research of science or medicine...
And by more value, I mean...I will risk my life to save yours, but a chicken, not so much.

My anti-abortion position isn't one based on my faith. It is one based on careful examination of my conscience. To me, there is just no other logical place to begin to defend the unborn than the moment of conception. Because, how can we say, well a embryo at two months and twenty-nine days is worthless, but pass that three month mark and then you have value as a human being?

Willow said...

I do not have a pro-abortion or an anti-abortion position. This is a black hole issue that devours everything that crosses its path.

I appreciate that you commented again, because in hindsight I thought my response was, well, rude, and that is not appropriate.